In the first flush of joy after your wedding engagement, you’ll probably begin browsing magazines & wedding websites; soon feel buried by tons of checklists and a daunting array of decisions. Here is a list of 25 questions that will help you ensure your wedding comes off without a hitch! You can also download our Santillane Wedding Venue Q&A sheet right here.
Click on the wedding question to toggle the answer. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (540) 395-3566 or message us.
1.How many people can this location accommodate?
We have had weddings ranging from 50-300 guests. The most accommodating number is 250 and the party pavilion averages 125 based on 6-foot round tables and food set-up.
2. What is the rental fee and what is included in that price? Is there a discount for booking an off-season date or Sunday through Friday?
The rental fee is $3,000 and includes the house, party pavilion, valet parking, and your set-up & take down. There is a $200 discount for off-season (November-April). The Sunday–Friday rate is the same in and out of season. Refer to next question for items included in the rental.
3. Are tables, linens, chairs, plates, silverware and glassware provided, or will I have to rent them myself or get them through my caterer? What is the food and beverage cost on a per/person basis? What is the service charge?
These items are all handled by the caterer. Santillane has 165 white chits, 4 eight-foot-long tables, 2 six-foo-long tables, 1 five-foot-long table, 1 four-foot-round table, 1 three-foot-round bistro table for the cake, 3 beverage stations, podium for sign-in, 48 wrought iron lanterns (4″X7″), 7 sets of wrought iron furniture for the cocktail hour, & 24 wine glasses.
4. How much is the deposit, when is it due, and is it refundable? What’s the payment plan for the entire bill?
There are 3 installments for the venue rental, each 1/3 of the total price. Each installment is nonrefundable. The first installment is to hold the date, the second is due 2 months before your event and the final at your rehearsal. There is also a $200 damage deposit held in escrow also due at the rehearsal. This check/payment is held as a security deposit and is returned after the property is examined by the owners.
5. What’s the cancellation policy?
Each installment is nonrefundable except for extreme circumstances with documentation such as an accident, surgery, military deployment, etc.
6. Can I change my wedding date?
Yes, with three months advance notice and availability of the new wedding date. The same payment schedule applies to new date.
7. Can I hold my ceremony here, too? Is there an additional charge?
Yes, there are 3 major sites/staging areas for your ceremony. There is no additional charge. The staff will set-up for your ceremony according to your wishes on Thursday so we are ready for your rehearsal.
8. Is the ceremony site close to the reception site? Is there a bride’s changing area? How much time is allocated for the rehearsal?
Yes, the ceremony site(s) are close to the reception. There are 3 rooms allocated for the bridesmaids in which to change and one for the groomsmen. The rehearsal needs to conclude by 9:00 p.m. A rehearsal dinner may be held at the venue for $200.
9. Is the site handicap accessible?
Valet will drive guests with mobility issues directly to the ceremony area and party pavilion. The bathrooms inside the house are not designed for handicapped guests. Some brides rent a handicap Port-A-John to place on the property.
10. What’s your weather contingency plan for outdoor spaces?
The party pavilion is designed so that canvas sides may be hung (the client is responsible for the rental). There is room for the client to rent side tenting and if the guest list is 120 or fewer, the ceremony may take place inside of Santillane utilizing the grand foyer, landing and upper foyer. Hors d’oeuvre may be set-up in the dining room.
11. How long will I have use of the event space(s) I reserve? Is there an overtime fee if I stay longer? Is there a minimum or maximum rental time?
Clients may bring decorating items and food to place in the basement freezer/refrigerator as early as Thursday between 9:00 and 6:00 p.m. Due to the county’s noise ordinance, the reception must end at 10:00 p.m. The staff will clean up and take down chairs, tables, garbage, etc. Family may stay and help with this. Family may remove additional items by noon on Sunday.
12. Can I hire my own vendors (caterer, coordinator, DJ, etc.), or must I select from a preferred vendor list?
Yes, you may secure your own vendors. The region has an active wedding planning group called Simplicity headed by Vickie Itson. They are a comprehensive group of resources.
13. If I hire a caterer, are kitchen facilities available for them?
Yes, the caterer may use the kitchen to prep and for heating. There is a microwave and oven. Additional, there is a side-by-side refrigerator-freezer and a large chest freezer. If your caterer is cooking in the kitchen, there is a $100 charge.
14. Can I bring my own wine, beer or champagne, and is there a corkage fee if I do? Can I bring in other alcohol?
Yes, you can bring in your own beer, wine, liquor, & all other types of alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages. There is no corkage fee.
15. Can I move things around and decorate to suit my purposes, or do I have to leave everything as is? Are there decoration guidelines/restrictions? Can I use real candles?
The furniture in the home may not be moved. The lighting in the pavilion, outdoor wrought-iron furniture, and garden & ornamental items may be moved but must be put back at the end of the celebration. Candles, lanterns and tiki torches are allowed. November through April is the off season for Santillane thus minimizing decorating inside the house. Such requests to do so must be with the permission of the proprietors.
16. What time can my vendors start setting up on the day of the wedding? Is it possible to start the setup the day before? How early can deliveries be made? How much time will I have for décor setup? Does the venue provide assistance getting gifts or décor back to a designated car after the event has concluded?
Vendors may make deliveries as early as Thursday beginning at 9:00 a.m. The same time frame holds true for decor set-up. The staff can assist with loading gifts to the family’s car.
17. Do you provide a coat check service (especially important for winter weddings)? If not, is there an area that can be used and staffed for that purpose?
This is a non-issue as winter is our off-season, however, this can be discussed with the proprietors.
18. Is there an outdoor space where my guests can mingle, and can it be heated and/or protected from the elements if necessary? Is there a separate indoor “socializing” space?
We have plenty of space for your guests to mingle.
19. Are there restrictions on what kind of music I can play, or a time by which the music must end?
All music must end by 10:00 PM due to a noise ordinance and ask musicians (band or DJ) to be sensitive to the volume level for neighbors. There are 12 electrical outlets total, one on every other pillar. The electrical power has been increased to 400 amps.
20. Is there parking on site? If so, is it complimentary? Do you offer valet parking, and what is the charge? Are cabs easily accessible from the venue?
There is a large parking area on the property. The valet parkers greet and direct guests to the area. A shuttle is provided by Santillane to bring guests to the ceremony/sign-in area. Those with mobility issues are driven directly to the ceremony and reception area. Rental fee includes valet service and may provide a gratuity at the end of the night if so desired. Cabs are not readily available. If guests are unable to drive, they may leave their car overnight in the designated parking area.
21. How many restrooms are there?
Santillane has two restrooms; one upstairs and one downstairs. According to Botetourt code, 2 restrooms are needed per 100 guests. A Port-A-John is recommended for a guest count of over 175 for male guests.
22. Do you offer on-site coordination? If so, what services are included and is there an additional charge for them? Will the coordinator supervise day-of? How much assistance can I get with the setup/décor?
The client can hire the Santillane staff at $10.00 per hour to assist the client’s director or point person. They are available to assist with ceremony set-up and reception set-up. Staff can also assist with décor set-up on the Thursday prior to the wedding. Rental fee includes two staff to take care of parking, additional set-up (moving the ceremony chairs to the reception/pavilion space), trash removal, and general assistance to the caterer.
23. Does Santillane have liability insurance?
Yes, we have liability insurance.
24. What overnight accommodations do you provide? Do you offer a discount for booking multiple rooms? Do you provide a complimentary room or upgrade for the newlyweds? What are the nearest hotels to the venue?
We are a B&B but the number of rooms available depends on how many changing rooms the wedding party needs. We do provide a 10% discount for guests affiliated with the wedding celebration. There are several hotels/motels in close proximity – Holiday Inn Express, Red Roof Inn, Country Inn and Suites. It is an option for the bride and groom to spend their wedding night here at a 10% discount with three course breakfast.
25. Do you have signage or other aids to direct guests to my event?
There is an historic Santillane marker on 220 in close proximity to the street, close turn off to Santillane onto Housman Street. There is signage on the property for various aspects of the wedding i.e. ceremony, reception, parking, valet, cocktail hour, etc.